Everyone wants the best care available for their pets. One good habit you can develop is regularly bringing them to a veterinarian for a pet wellness exam. At Southside Veterinary Hospital in Vero Beach, FL, we have the privilege of serving pet owners and their furry companions with comprehensive services. Learn more about how preventative care is essential for your pet.
What Is a Pet Wellness Exam?
A wellness exam is a thorough checkup for your pet that ensures they are on track developmentally and health-wise. It’s imperative to bring them in for wellness exams, even if they seem healthy, because some conditions, such as dental disease, can be present without any symptoms.
Components Of a Wellness Exam
You may wonder what to expect when you bring your pet into our animal hospital for a wellness check. Below are a few things you can expect:
- Nose-to-tail examination: We will examine your pet from its nose to the tip of its tail, looking for any signs of illness or injury.
- Vaccinations: We will review your pet’s vaccination history and recommend any boosters they may need based on their age and risk factors.
- Internal parasite screening: There are tests for internal parasites, such as heartworms, intestinal worms, and other parasites.
- Bloodwork: Taking a sample of blood can give us a snapshot of your pet’s overall health. It can also help us identify potential problems early on.
- Eyes, ears, and teeth: We will check your pet’s eyes, ears, and teeth for any signs of infection, disease, or other problems.
- Diet and weight: We can help you choose the best diet for your pet based on breed, age, and lifestyle needs. We will also weigh them to ensure they are at a healthy weight.
Importance Of Pet Wellness Exams
As we mentioned earlier, a wellness exam is considered preventative care. Once your pet gets older, it's more susceptible to health concerns that aren't always easy to identify. Our team of professionals can give you peace of mind by knowing that your pet is as healthy as possible. During a wellness exam, we can also detect early signs of illness or disease. The earlier we catch something, the easier it is to treat. We can also make recommendations for things like weight loss or exercise if necessary. It's also an excellent time to ask about your pet's health.
Make An Appointment With Our Vero Beach Veterinarian
Is it time for a checkup? If you have any concerns about their health, please contact Southside Veterinary Hospital. We would be happy to answer any of your questions or set up an appointment.